Allahabad India - India Vacation Packages
One of the oldest pilgrimage cities of India - Allahabad India encompasses numerous temples, historical buildings and gardens. Allahabad India tourism boosts during the celebrations of Kumbh Mela.
Allahabad in India
Allahabad is located at the confluence (Sangam) of
the rivers Ganga, Yamuna and the mythical Saraswati. It is one of the oldest
pilgrimage cities of India famous for the Kumbh Melas, Ardh Kumbh Melas and
Magh Melas. It is situated at about 240 km from Lucknow, the capital of
Uttar Pradesh and 128 km from Varanasi. The city bears testimony to the
transfer of power from the East India company to the British crown after the
The Triveni Sangam is the most important and famous sacred place
encompassing the devout Hindus from all over India come to this holy
pilgrimage place to offer prayers and take a dip in the holy waters.
The Prayag (Allahabad) Kumbh Mela is the largest and holiest of all melas
and is believed to be the most auspicious. On important bathing dates, the
Kumbh Mela, lakhs of pilgrims take bath on the banks of the holy Sangam. It
is held once every three years by rotation, on the banks of holy rivers-the
Godavari in Nasik, the Shipra in Ujjain, the Ganga in Haridwar and the
Sangam in Allahabad. The most recent Kumbh Mela was in 2001 in Allahabad
where millions of pilgrims took a holy dip in Sangam on the auspicious Mauni
Amavasya on the 24th January 2001.
All Saint's Cathedral
William Emerson designed the Cathedral church of All Saint's at Allahabad
in 1870's, but it was consecrarted only in 1887AD. The church, which has
been described as the finest Anglican Cathedral in Asia is faced in white
stone from Surajpur with red stone dressings.
Holy Trinity Church
Constructed in 1839 under the supervision of Lieutanant Sharp and architect
Major Smith, this is the first church of Allahabad.
Built in 1847 by John Freeman, one of the first American Presbyterian
missionaries who arrived in Allahabad.
Allahabad Dussehra is marked with the unique procession of beautifully
decorted "chowkis" accompained by Ramdals every evening.
Public Library (1864)
Standing at Alfred park this building was opened as a memorial to the
friendship of Lord Thornhill, the then C mmissioner of Allahabad and Mr.
Mayne, the then Collector. It was called the "Thomhill and Mayne
Memorial". Designed by R.Roskell Rayne, this public library is a
remarkable example of Gothic Style. The memorial has a lofty tower and
acarded cloisters. In 1879 thelibrary was shifted to the present p9remises,
at alfred park. It has about 75,000 books, besidees a treasure trove of
manuscripts and journals.
The Old High Court and Public Offices
They are four storied block. Made of sandstone and ashiar these were built
by Colonel Piele in i 870 in the classical style. The Minto Park to the west
of the ton has a Memorial Pillar enriched with Royal medallions and four
lions carrrying the Imperial coronet. This was a memorial pillar to the
Royal Proclamation of the assumption of rule by the British crown in 1858.
The Municipal Museum adjoining the library is yet another colonial structure
which is a treasuretrove of archaeological artefacts.
The Allahabad Museum has an impressive collection of Sunga, Gupta, late
Gupta and early medieval period sculptural masterpieces, discovered at
different places around Allahabad.
Designed by William Emerson, this is an excellent mix of Gothic and Indian
architectural elements. Commenced in 1874 and opened in 1886, it has an
arcaded quadrangle which is dominated by a 200ft minaret tower in cream
coloured sandstone from Mirzapur with marble and mosaic floors. The domes of
the Indo saracenic structure are clad in Multan glazed tiles.
Mayo Memorial Hall
Situated near the Thornhill and Mavne Memorial this large hall with a 180
ft high tower was designed by R.Roskell Bayne. The interior of this memorial
hall is ornamented with designs by Professor Gamble of the South Kensington
Museum, London. Completed in 1879 this hall was meant for public meetings,
balls and receptions in commemoration of the assassinated Viceroy.
Allahabad High Court
Chief Justice, Sir John Staley laid the foundation in 1911. It was finally
completed in 1916 and opened by Viceroy Lord Chelmsford. Designed by Frank
Lishman. this structure is subtly adapted to the climate as is evident from
the double roofing with Allahabad tiles on top to beat the summer heat.
Conceived in a grand fashion, it has a domed pedimented centre, arcaded
wings, stone balustrades and engrailed arches. It reflects a beautiful
synthesis of Eastern and Western architectural styles
Ranipur Wildlife Sanctuary
This 230 sq. kms.of sanctuary is rich in wildlife.